Friday, December 3, 2010

Baby's don't just cause big tummies....

My sister is pregnant with her first child. She is about four months along and barely showing. She came here to have Thanksgiving with us and my five year old daughter was very excited to see her pregnant Aunt.  A few days into the visit I'm in the bathroom with my daughter brushing hair and this is the conversation that we have.

Her: I'm so happy for Aunty
Me: Why's that?
Her: Because she hasn't gotten big yet. But soon her tummy is going to get really big.
Me: Yep, that's true
Her: And her hips will get big and her butt will get big and then she'll know it's time to have that baby.
Me: choking on laughter....
Her: Then I really hope she gets to go back to her normal size. - for her I hope that.
Me: Wait, what????
Her: (with a look like I should know this stuff) Some mommy's still have big tummy's and hips and butts even after they have babies. I know. I've seen them.
Me: Well, that's true but I think you are right, I think Aunty will go back to her original size. 

We've never talked about people's size before.  I knew she had probably noticed that some are larger than others (it is the age for it after all) but for her to put it like that just cracked me up! Big hips?? Geesh!

1 comment:

  1. I love this story! So been there. How old is your daughter? When mine was around 3 or 4, she started noticing people's size as well. And then she learned the names for different sizes. Without any judgement at all, she would say "mommy, so-and-so is fat." Hushing her in horror I had to tell her that wasn't a nice thing to say cuz it hurt people's feelings. At 3 years old it was hard for her to understand why a descriptive word was a bad word...and we think we know things!

    ReplyDelete