Thursday, September 9, 2010

Come Again??

I need to brag for a minute:
I am a very pretty woman. I take good care of myself. I dress well. I have curves where they should be. I'm confident and self posessed. I moisturize.
Here is why I tell you this:
I was playing with my daughter, acting all silly when I collapsed onto the couch laughing. My daughter takes this moment to give me a little advice. With a hand on her hip she tells me,
            "You know? You should really work harder on being pretty and girly and less hard at being a dork."

Okay, yes. I readily admit that I have a dorky streak and maybe it is bigger than I like to admit. But did my baby really need to say that to me???
            My immediate response was to say, "Hey, I am pretty!"
            To which she replied, "Well, yeah, but only 'cause you look like me!"

So true, she is a five year old version of myself. Same hair, same eyes, same nose and smile.  We differ is our fashion sense though. She thinks shorts are for boys only and if it is not pink, purple or "matches our eyes" it is not to be worn. And hair is NEVER to be in a pony tail unless it is for cheer leading. I am constantly getting grief from her for not having on heels and not having gloss on my lips.  But this - this insult! It's just too much! Maybe a mom who no longer has toddlers has to let go of the goofiness.......or maybe I'm going to grab her when she comes into my room to wake me up in the morning and tickle her until she takes that comment back!

No comments:

Post a Comment