Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Life has two Faces

I'm married, I have children - all by the same man, I have a dog, I cook and bake, clean, tend my flower garden, I volunteer, help with the children's activities, I'm a Christian......... 

This side of me is not a fraud.  I like all these things. Yet, there is another side of me which is equally real. I love adventure and travel.  I've visited between 10 and 15 of the States and 3 other countries, I've eaten strange foods,  I've swam in both oceans.....

The problem is I cannot have both these lives at the same time.  To do one I have to take a break from the other.  Don't get me wrong, I still camp - but the kids come with. We took the motorcycle to Atlantic City this summer, but that meant setting up a weekend babysitter.  I still travel, but my last long trip was a road trip to Disney World.  Part of me aches  for the freedom to move around as I use to.  Part of me is REALLY enjoying calm hours in the garden while a New York style Cheesecake chills in the house which, we eat later that night while playing Monopoly. 

The older the kids get, the more freedom I get. The older the kids get the more time I want to spend with them. Time goes so fast.  It will be over so soon. So, my conclusion is this: I did what I could, I do what I can. My time will come again.
 My children are having some fun adventures. I am being the engaged mother I want to be. The best part is, my children get to see that I am a real person with wants and dreams.  They get to see that I am not a slave to the family or society and that taking care of ones self is healthy - not selfish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment