Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Over the Train Tracks

We recently moved from a big city to an tiny town most people haven't even heard of.  Taking kids to practice use to involve a fifteen minute drive - at least, and freeway travel and rush hour traffic. STRESSFUL! Last night while my son and I were walking to practice, (that's right, walking, it's just over the train tracks) we had the most fun conversation about catching grasshoppers.  After practice he suggested we go see the end of his brother's practice. Before the move this would have meant an additional 17 minute drive. But, I happily agreed, after all, it was just over the train tracks. Walking to the football field we talked about the wonderful outdoor smells, we jumped in the first fall leaves, we held our thumbs up to the moon. This is what I have been missing when we drive everywhere. I watched my child laugh along side me. He caught me watching him and grabbed my hand. With a squeeze he said, "you are the greatest Mom ever".  I hadn't done anything to deserve this praise. Honestly, we were walking more because I'm trying to do my part to cut down on pollution then because I was trying to be a good mom and spend some quality time with my son. Still, it worked out, no pollution, a healthy little walk, quality time with my boy. I love how our little town is bringing us closer. When my daughter gets home we are walking to the store that sells homemade jams; it's just over the train tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment