Thursday, September 16, 2010

Keeping the Trains

              I have a sister getting ready to close on her first house. I have another sister who just started college. I have another sister who just found out she is pregnant with her first child. Another family member is getting married this weekend. It makes my life feel stagnant. True, I've already done all these things. It just feels like all my big firsts are past.  
             I had a different kind of first today.Today, I decided to keep the trains.  My middle son was very big into Thomas the Train when he was little. Even though he hasn't touched it in years he never wanted to get rid of the stuff.  Finally, I decided I was going to donate them. I started to sort through the bin when a memory hit me so hard I froze.  Do you remember Little People? The actual little ones not the "safe" little ones? We had tons of them when I was growing up, we had houses and schools and shops. We had a station wagon and a pop-up camper. We had a play ground. I loved those little guys. It is the only toy from my childhood that my parents kept and when we visit, my kids can play with them. I think that is awesome.  I'm a tosser. I don't keep things. They go to charity, get sold or get trashed. I have very few things from my kids first years. I just don't see the point. I decided to keep the trains. When my kids have kids and they come to visit I can pull out the big bin of trains. I will remember my son playing with them, I will watch him remembering that wonderful part of his childhood and I will watch my grandbabies play with a well loved toy saved just for them.  It's a different kind of first, that's for sure.Actually, it makes my stomach act a little funny thinking about it. I'm really glad I'm Keeping the Trains.  

No comments:

Post a Comment