Thursday, September 9, 2010

Went Fishing, Caught Duck

I have a fear. It is embarrassing but I can't help it. I've had it since I was very little. Worms freak me out. My boys keep asking me to take them fishing and my first thought always is, then I'll have to touch a worm....


 I recently discovered that you can fish with tiny crayfish (which I don't have a problem touching). However, yesterday evening when they asked to go fishing there wasn't time to go to the stream to catch crayfish and then go to the pond to fish. I came up with a brilliant (cough. I thought) idea. The last time we went to the pond we brought bread for the ducks and the fish went crazy so I figured (OK. I admit. It was a bad idea) we would fish with bread! I grab a bag, the poles, the kids, put everything in the van and we headed out. When we got there I looked for a good spot. Being the smart person I am I picked a spot away from the ducks. I rolled little bits of bread up and put it on their hooks. I also threw crumbs into the water to attract the fish. I, uh, attracted the ducks first. The kids quickly pulled in their lines but one duck just wasn't having it. He chased that line and kept trying to grab the moving bread. He had made his mind up to get that piece of bread.

Finally he caught that bread and made a triumphant noise which was cut short when he realized his beak was caught. Another duck was hurling himself at him and we were trying to pull him in to unhook him. It was mayhem. We got him to shore, shooed the other duck away and managed to get the hook out.  Poor duck. Thankfully he will be fine. Being the smart person I am, we did not pack up and go home. We moved further away from the ducks and tried again.  This time I am pleased to say we actually caught a fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment